A gas leak leads to an explosion, shaking downtown Durham and burning surrounding buildings.
There has been one death and fifteen injured people reported who were taken to area hospitals, including a Durham firefighter, who was in serious condition.
Durham County Sheriff’s Office said a call came in at 9:37 a.m. where Durham authorities said the leak was caused by a contractor who struck a 2-inch gas line.
Fire officials said crews were still working to extinguish the fire at 11:50 a.m.
A city of Durham spokeswoman said that buildings directly around the explosion have been evacuated.
Multiple people said that their office buildings shook in the explosion, and windows had been blown out.
A gas explosion has occurred at 115 N. Duke St. Duke St. from Chapel Hill Rd. to Morgan St. is closed. AVOID the area. pic.twitter.com/9UdKMiKx7h— Durham EM (@AlertDurham) April 10, 2019