Primary Menu

Tanner In The Morning

Weekdays 5:00AM - 10:00AM

Bruce Bennett/Getty Images

This is heartbreaking!

Toxic algae killed 3 North Carolina dogs. They swam in a pond last week.

Melissa Martin posted the loss on her Facebook page. She said that her goal since then has been to warn others of the dangers of “this deadly bacteria.”

Some blooms of blue-green algae can produce chemicals toxic to animals and people who drink the untreated water, according to NCDHHS. Officials say that the algae bloom may turn the water neon green, blue-green or reddish-brown, could cause a bad smell and taste in the water and sometimes forms a foam or scum on the water’s surface.

Please be careful where you and your pets swim.

update with link to CNN:...

Posted by Melissa Martin on Sunday, August 11, 2019