Primary Menu

Tanner In The Morning

Weekdays 5:00AM - 10:00AM

Please don’t just eat anything you are asked to do!

An Australian man has died after eating a gecko on a dare. David Dowell, 34, was at a party when someone dared him to eat the lizard, says his longtime partner, Allira Bricknell. “It was a dare but I don’t know if it was a serious one,” she says.

At first, Dowell appeared to suffer no ill effects from eating the gecko — until two days had passed, that is. That’s when he was rushed to the hospital in “absolute agony,” Bricknell says.

Ten days after ingesting the reptile, Dowell died. It turned out Dowell had contracted salmonella from the gecko, according to his sister, Hannah Dowell. She says her brother “basically rotted from the inside out.”

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warns people, “Don’t kiss or snuggle with reptiles and amphibians because this can increase your risk of getting sick.