One of my absolute favorite things to do when visiting a new city (or even an old favorite) is to take a ghost tour. You may be under the impression that it’s just certain cities that offer these haunted tours based in historical truths. Ghost tours are synonymous with cities like Savannah Georgia. But many many cities around the country have them as well. Even Charlotte! Another North Carolina ghost tour was actually included in a list of the best on the East Coast. And perhaps not where you’d expect!
This list was created by Eastern Home & Travel. It includes sites across the East Coast including St. Augustine, FL, the aforementioned Savannah, Williamsburg, VA, and more. But also included on the list? The small town of Beaufort North Carolina!
10 Best East Coast Ghost Tours
- St Augustine, FL (St. Augustine Lighthouse’s Dark of the Moon Ghost Tour)
- Savannah, GA (Old Savannah Tours)
- Charleston, SC (Bulldog Tours)
- Beaufort, NC (Beaufort Ghost Walk)
- Williamsburg, VA (The Colonial Ghost Tour)
- Gettysburg, PA (Ghosts of Gettysburg Candlelight Walking Tour)
- Philadelphia, PA (Terror Behind The Walls)
- New York, NY (Ghosts of Greenwich Village)
- Sleepy Hollow, NY (Headless Horseman Hayrides and Haunted House)
- Salem, MA (Spellbound Tour)
You can see there is a wide variety of locations on this list. Some are steeped and make perfect sense- like Salem with the harrowing past involved the Salem Witch Trials. The bloody history at Gettysburg is sure to lead to some hauntings as well. New York City? That one wasn’t on my short list!
The Beaufort Ghost Walk, is a 1 hour and 15 minute walking tour of the coastal town of Beaufort. While on this spooky adventure, guests learn all about the 300-year history of the town including stories of “betrayal, treachery, and tragedy from the Golden Age of Piracy, Colonial and Civil War eras, or the early 1900s.” Sounds spooky and fun! Get more info about the tour here. And read more about each of the top 10 here.